Tex-Mex Meatballs are packed with flavors of onion, jalapeño, cumin and garlic then smothered in a cheesy enchilada sauce and topped with fresh cilantro. This dish is about as versatile as it gets. I used venison to make this dish but this recipe works well swapped out with wild boar, elk or virtually any other game meat! It can be served as a quick dinner or makes a great game-day appetizer.
1 pound ground venison
1/3 cup panko bread crumbs (plain)
1 small onion finely diced
1.5 tablespoons diced jalapeno
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Olive Oil, for frying
1 (19 ounce) can mild red enchilada sauce
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 chipotle peppers in adobo, chopped
1 cup shredded Mexican Cheese
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro
- Combine all meatball ingredients, except olive oil, in a large bowl. Mix together.
- Shape into meatballs using an ice cream scooper to measure out equal portions.
- Heat about a 12-inch cast iron pan over medium-high heat. Add in enough olive oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Once warmed, add meatballs and cook until browned on all sides.
- Once browned, remove the meatballs from the pan and transfer to a paper towel lined plate.
- Drain off most of the oil, leaving a small amount and any loose onion pieces that fell off the meatballs.
- Add red enchilada sauce, chicken broth, and chipotle peppers. Mix the sauce together then add the meatballs back into the skillet. Bring to a simmer then cook uncovered for 10-12 minutes.
- Sprinkle cheese and cilantro on top and serve once cheese has slightly melted.
Hey! I’m Jenn Danella. I am a sportswoman, hunter, and wild-game chef with a strong passion for the great outdoors. To me, there’s no greater reward than to be able to provide for myself and my family through hunting and fishing. Check out my cookbooks and more at jenndanella.com.
Look no further for the perfect venison appetizer. These mushrooms are packed with a flavorful creamy venison spinach filling that will have your guest begging for the recipe!
Features on the Edge Pro trail camera from Moultrie Mobile help hunters save time and money with AI technology and accessories that extend battery life.
Do you avoid making venison burgers because they lack flavor and turn out dry? Then try this traditional and smash-burger recipes! We’ll teach you the tips and tricks to create the ultimate juicy and flavorful venison burger.